A brief history of the Baltimore Town Hall and the Victoria Opera House:
- The land on which the building sits was deeded to the Village of Baltimore in 1904 by the founder of New Market. (The Village of New Market was established by settlers from Virginia in 1825 and was named for a town by that name that is located in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. The Village was incorporated in 1833 and the name was changed to Baltimore.)
- In 1904, the residents of Baltimore voted to issue bonds for the construction of a council house, fire station and calaboose.
- Construction on the building was started in 1905 and additional bonds were sold in 1906 to complete the construction and to furnish the building.
- The three-story buildng is located in the heart of downtown Baltimore. It was designed in the Italianate style of architecture.
- The first floor houses the municipal offices of the Village of Baltimore.
- The second floor contains a theater with a balcony.
- The third floor was used as a meeting hall and was owned by the Baltimore Lodge until purchased by the Village in 1992.
- The frescoes on the second and third floor were painted by George Siegfried.
History of the “Town Hall” Building on the Save The Victoria website
History of the “Town Hall” Building on The Millersport Community Theater website
Basil-Baltimore, Ohio, Unofficial and incomplete history, compiled by George F. Stilwell